Monday 9 May 2016

Man down.... and back up again....

For the last 10 days, I have had flu.  At first I thought it was a cold, and then I thought it was man-flu, but by day 4 I was incapable of speaking and couldn't stay awake for more than 2 hours at a time.  I don't like being ill at the best of times, and being ill AND not being able to talk... well... that's a special kind of torture for me. 
Today I am finally well enough to get out of the house again. 
I took a short walk to the local shop to get myself some celebratory bananas (I like bananas.  Bananas are awesome), and discovered that my time in bed has caused my sadly limited muscles mass to atrophy.  This is not unexpected, I suppose, but it is a pain in the ass.  Before I was unfit, fat, and not physically capable of starting my running training.  Now, I am unfit, fat, and not physically capable of carrying a week's shopping more than 100yards without needing a breather. It's something of a step backwards.
This is not insurmountable, though.  I am feeling well(ish), and the weather has been nice lately.  I plan to start taking short daily walks- nothing dramatic at present, just around the block and back- to try and get some fitness back again.  Once I can manage that, I will start taking longer walks, and from there, we'll see about maybe the odd jog.
I know this plan isn't revolutionary or anything, but writing it down helps me focus.  And hey- it's worked for other people, so why not for me too?

No comments:

Post a Comment